Sunday, April 09, 2006

---A Mothers Love knows no bound!

So I am cruising the Internet reading, as I usually do at the wee hours of the day. Bored with the garbage emails that I appear to be inundated each day with and I come across this ditty:

Making fun of boys totally fair

Somewhat irritated, I search further and discover that COOLTOOLSFORMEN has covered this individual already.

reading further, I discover an additional morsel;

Gender divide is a royal pain

OK, now I am actually pissed off at this woman. She not only treats her son with such discontent, but she goes even further and uses him as a stepping-stone for ridicule and humor in her columns.

I e-mail her.

____________
From: TMOTS
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2006 3:21 AM
To: Shapiro, Treena
Cc: me
Subject: Nice articles

IT is so pleasing to see the equality that you hold so dear to your heart is being applied to your children. [/sarcasm off].

I wonder how Corwin, you know, that evil little male in your house, will feel as well as act towards women when he comes of age. I’ll give you a hint. You already called Sloane (nice name BTW) by the appropriate term, "princess". This poor lad is going to grow up will all sorts of issues when it comes to interactions with men and particularly women.

You are married as well. Funny how your mangina of a husband seems to just ride the feminist dogma wave and allows you to psychologically abuse this poor child. All in the name of equality eh?

Pathetic.

A father of a boy AND a girl.

____________

I expect nothing in return, as I usually do. They never respond to fork-tongued males. Amazingly, I DO get a response.

____________
I'm not interested in arguing whether I'm sexist or not, although I will defend my son. The column points out that I think he's smart.

The only reason I'm responding at all is because for the past week I've been getting hate mail from men who are threatening violence against me and since you seem to be more interested in written abuse rather than physical or sexual attacks, I'd really like to know where you read this. The column was originally published in January and has been taken off our website, so it's clear people are reading it somewhere else.

I know that you'd probably love it if these men actually followed through with what they're threatening, but I'm hoping that out of the kindness of your heart you might be able to tell me if they are reading this locally or in another state.
____________

Notice that she is so typical with her answers, any one of us could have responded identically. They never seem to have anything new to say. Same-ole, same-ole.

So I respond back.

____________
First and foremost, both of your columns are posted on the Honolulu Advertiser. Nice picture BTW. I can see the nurturing motherly instinct and love just oozing from that smile.

Sure you "say" that he is smart, but you treat him as a second class citizen, as you columns seem to imply. Instead of just telling him that Sloane can be king if she wants to, you blind the genders lines and belittle him by ignoring his pleas. Explaining to him that there is nothing wrong with her wanting to be king, AS WELL AS nothing wrong with HIM wanting to be king, I surmise, would have been more 'motherly' of you. But, you chose to "refuse". Thus refusing his feelings as well. This is sexist and you are sending him a message that a woman can do as she pleases and can do no wrong, but a man... well.... they smell, throw rocks at them.

This is what is wrong with the genders. When MEN & WOMEN stop this we are smarter or better or always the victim, then the issues that keep coming up between the sexes will subside. I truly believe that. Sure, they will never go away, but they certainly would crawl back under the rock from which they came from and belong.

Men and women are different. Fine. Men and women are pretty much interchangeable when it comes to doing 'things', fine. But belittling a male child all the while placing his sister on a pedestal does nothing but create contempt in that lads mind. If you truly believe in equality between the sexes, I should not have to tell you this.

So the Feminist Mantra comes forth. I, as a male, write you stating my distaste of your insensitive (almost abusive) parenting towards your son as well as your columns, and you immediately accuse me of the ATYPICAL feminist favorite. I am "abusing" you in writing rather than one of the other male-only goodies; physical and sexual. Gee, thanks. And you claim MEN have issues. You appear to be willing to raise the 'victims chalice' at any cost. As long as it is women who drink from it, I assume.

"Written abuse"? Hardly. If I wanted to abuse you (in writing) I would have. Insulted? Sure. Slightly angry that you would treat your son this way? Most definitely. But I tend to use a forked tongue rather than abuse in my writings. Being a feminist, you should be all too familiar with this type of writing. Whereas it is quite visible and apparent in your columns.

Lastly, I take exception to your insinuation that I would "love" it if these alleged men were to physically assault you. Where would you get an idea like that? Because I disagree with you? Because I am male? Because it is in the genetic makeup of all males? Thus, I must be a part of the "Patriarchy (tm)" that thrives secretly on the abuse of women? Come now, you appear to be somewhat learned. You cannot honestly believe that just because I disagree with your ideals, that I would want you hurt... That is just plain ole silly-willy emotionalism.

One last note, think about how your son will feel when he is older; old enough to go to the library and look up his mom's writings. Better yet, uses the Internet, just as I have. Ever think about how he will feel when he sees what he may have always felt or thought? You favor his sister based solely on her sex, and dislike him (based on his sex) so much that you use him as a tool for humor and ridicule in your columns. A mother’s love knows no bounds.

____________

It will be interesting to see if she responds back again.

Here is her email address: tshapiro@honolulu.gannett.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home